What happened to doing the right thing?

Some say I'm liberal, some say I'm a Democrat? What do I say? I say that I follow Jesus and believe in doing the right thing.

When did it become so hard for people to do the right thing? To do the thing for the greater good? I don't want to have some big drawn out political conversation but so many people in our government are choosing money and power over the good of our nation and it is showing.

People terrorizing schools, places of worship, workplaces, yoga studios, concerts, etc etc. No where is safe anymore. How can we combat this? Better mental health options and gun control. However, since the government is unwilling to do either of these things, what can we do? Try to love one another without fear. Teach our children kindness, compassion, helpfulness.

I find it difficult to parent a child right now. I tell him it is unacceptable to speak to people harshly, rudely, condescendingly. Then we turn on the TV to our President bullying a person doing his job. In the recent interaction with Jim Acosta from CNN, the nation's President said that he didn't like him, he openly disrespected him, he never actually answered any of the questions he was asked (by reporters who were doing their job) and so on. How can we preach kindness, acceptance, love with this disgrace doing the opposite for the whole world to see nearly every day.

My heart hurts for what other countries think of Americans. My head hurts from thinking about where our country will be if this continues.

Harsh words, divisiveness, greed, hatred.

So many people try to throw Christianity into this debate saying that Evangelical's won Trump the election. It's actually caused me to distance myself from my church. So many "Christian's" support Trump and his actions. Jesus would be appalled by what the government is doing with the asylum seekers and minority children, to say the least. How can you be a Jesus follower and support Trump? It makes no sense to me. None. None. Jesus has always sought out the "least of these." Trump wants them gone, wants to turn their back on them. Jesus flocked to those in need. Not Trump, take away funding for Planned Parenthood, take away Obamacare. Can you imagine Jesus sitting in that rally when Trump openly mocked the man with a disability? As a momma of a child with a disability, it broke my heart. My child will grow up in a culture where this is accepted. Not only accepted but accepted by someone in a position of power and authority. I know that as my heart was breaking, so was His. He was beside me, crying along with me. So, please, if you support Trump we don't have a difference of political opinion, we have a difference in morality.

I can't solve Americas problems. But, I believe deep in my heart that if our politicians put money and greed aside and listened to its people, we could begin mending this nation. If we could find a way to lean into our neighbors. To speak kindly to those who are "other." If we could serve one another and want whats best for all, we would be better for it. If only those in Washington wanted what was best for America and the American people. If only.

Comments

Popular Posts